Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter


Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles #1)
Written by: Gena Showalter
Pub: September 25th 2012
Pub by: Harlequin Teen
REVIEW COPY: ebook


....
She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….


"I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish." (excerpt)


....
Alice in Zombieland was so good! Gena Showalter does an amazing job of creating unique zombies, very different from what we're used too, while still keeping them scary monsters. I found her zombies pretty creepy.

Ali (as Alice prefers to be called) is awesome. She isn't whiny of weak considering everything that has happened (and happens) to her. She is a fighter. The world is not the way she thought it was, and combined with this  is the guilt she carries for not believing all the things her father told her. She thought he was crazy (and in all fairness, who wouldn't?)

When Ali meets Cole things between them are magical (no really, there's something strange between them that no one can explain.) They have amazing chemistry. The scenes between them are great. A satisfying part of their relationship for any reader is that Cole doesn't want to protect Ali, he wants to educate her and make her stronger, more capable. That Cole considers a girl who is powerful more attractive than a girl who needs him to save her is a very attractive trait in a leading man.

Another great character is Ali's life is her friend, Kat. While she has some big secrets of her own, she gives Ali some balance by being there for her as a friend and helping her find confidence in herself. I thought Kat was a great friend and I'm interested to see where Kat's story goes. (It's always a good sign in a book when you want to know what happens to the best friend because she's interesting enough to matter.)

As the first in a new series, I thought Alice in Zombieland did a great job in balancing setting up the world and larger story while still having a solid adventure in itself. Even as a stand alone this story works on it's own, and is a great adventure. I never felt like I was just reading a lot of set up. That said,  I'm definitely excited to see where this is going and to learn more about the mysteries surrounding the characters. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...