Friday, June 1, 2012

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed 
by Josephine Angelini
Pub: May 31st 2011 
by HarperTeen
Review Copy: ebook (personal Kobo Vox)




Helen Hamilton has spent her entire 16 years trying to hide how different she is--no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust
....

I've been so slow actually writing a review for this book that by now I can only manage a short review.



This is a tough review for me. There were many things about Starcrossed that I loved, but there were a couple of things that I definitely did not love too. So while I enjoyed reading Starcrossed I was left dissatisfied. I haven't been able to manage to write a review that doesn't sound more negative than I mean for it too.


For the most part, Starcrossed is a pretty lightweight book (in a good way). It`s a fun star-crossed lovers type read with some well created secondary characters that help push this book up a level higher than it might otherwise be.


Helen is the main character and it`s obvious from the get go that she`s more than just a regular girl from Nantucket. She`s stunningly beautiful and smart and amazingly strong. Since she`s in high school this also makes her pretty unpopular with the other girls. 


When a new family moves to the island, Helen is less interested in meeting them, but everyone else is buzzing over how good looking they all are. Helen’s best friend is excited because the boys in the family are supposed to be REALLY good looking, but Helen just can’t manage to feel the same level of excitement. When she first sees Lucas, one of the boys, she attacks him with an overwhelming rage and creepy wailing women in the background.


The mix and play of mythology is really interesting and fun and for most of the book I was hooked.  Towards the end I became more dissatisfied with the overall story and where it seemed to be going.


All in all, I recommend Starcrossed. It wasn't perfect but it has enough going for it that it's worth picking up. It has a summer read feel and would be a great book to curl up on the porch to read on a sunny day. Plus, the sequel just came out so you won't have to wait on the surprise ending.






Happy Reading!


You can find out more about Starcrossed  and Josephine Angelini at her website HERE the sequel is Dreamless, it was published MAY 29th 2012:



Can true love be forgotten?


As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.


Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.


As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.















5 comments:

  1. I can see what you mean about this being a good summer read. While for me that usually means short contemp, this book was so fast-paced, edge of your seat IMO that it would be fun to read in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a fun read, I've heard mixed reviews about the sequel, but I didn't love Lucas so despite my loathing of triangles that's not putting me off wanting to read Dreamless. I'm sure I'll pick it up this summer.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review, I've been torn if I want to read or not. Maybe when I have more time :)
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brandi,
    On the whole, it's worth reading. I've heard good things about the sequel so the series may turn out pretty good overall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I started this book, I absolutely loved all the references to The Iliad and Greek mythology. I loved the character of Claire and the entire Delos clan. Helen, not so much. I thought she was a terrible heroine. She hated to stand out in a crowd, she was somewhat boring and I could not understand how Claire wanted to spend time with someone like her. She did redeem herself as the book progressed and she became more involved with the Delos family, she became stronger and more in tuned to her natural demigod abilities. Her introduction to Lucas and her attempt at killing him when they first met added a wonderful edge to the story. I found myself wondering 'what the heck is going on?' How are these two going to get together?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...