Monday, June 18, 2012

Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins



Spell Bound (Hex Hall #3)
by Rachel Hawkins
Pub: March 13th 2012
By Hyperion Books
REVIEW COPY: personal hardcover

....


Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.


Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?


....

First let me start off by saying that I really liked this series as a whole. Spell Bound was my least favorite of the three but it’s only by a little bit. I think this is one of the best series if you are looking to avoid excessive romantic angst. Rachel Hawkins has created a character in Sophie Mercer, who manages to have a life beyond the boy(s) she likes. This allows for some interesting discussions and relationships to exist beyond the love interest.
Sophie discovers some new family she didn’t know she had (although she was very slow figuring out this new family, I really don’t think I’m the only reader who had this “surprise” figured out at least a book ago). 

Since Archer is back in the picture in Spell Bound there is romance and the love triangle with Cal, but there is also the whole destroying the Casnoffs and stopping them from creating an army of demons thing to keep Sophie and crew busy.

While I like that Sophie has more people in her life than just the boys, I was sometimes frustrated with these relationships. I’ve never entirely bought Sophie’s friendship with Jenna. I felt like Sophie was more Jenna’s friend than Jenna was Sophie’s friend. 
I liked the relationship between Elodie and Sophie in this book. I think Elodie was a well-crafted character, being neither very good nor bad. She was more realistic than many of the other characters in this book. 

As for Sophie’s love triangle, it’s always been Archer and Archer is finally back by Sophie’s side for the big finale of Spell Bound. I wasn’t a big fan of Archer in Hex Hall and in Demonglass I became a big fan of Cal so the Sophie/Archer love story wasn’t something that kept me glued to the page. (A small aside –I just thought Cal was so great and I did NOT like how Spell Bound left Cal. I appreciate how it all came together for the story and it all fit together nicely, but I would have liked a different ending for Cal.) That said, I did like Archer more in this book than the first two and by the end conclusion of the book I’d say Archer had improved enough that I liked him and Sophie together.

As for the action in Spell Bound I liked how the plot all came together and the end was exciting, if quick. 

I really did enjoy Spell Bound. Rereading this review, I’m afraid it sounds more critical than I mean for it too. The points that I’m critical of in Spell Bound are really small points that bothered me. The book as a whole was really good and a solid ending to the series. If you haven’t read Hex Hall it really is worth reading.


You can find out more about Rachel Hawkins at her blog HERE

You can find my REVIEW OF HEX HALL HERE 




2 comments:

  1. I have really similar feelings to you about Cal and Archer. I just loathed Archer in the first and especially the second book but Cal stole my heart. Luckily this book reconciled me to Archer and to Cal's fate, leaving me pretty satisfied with the series even if I would have liked Cal to have someone won fair maiden's heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. I'm glad I'm not alone in the Cal love. Archer did improve in this book and I agree that I'm (mostly) reconciled to Cal and Archer's fate. I agree with you about Cal - I wanted him to find a new "fair maiden" to live Happily Ever After with!

      Delete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...