Thursday, June 7, 2012

Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson


Hunting Lila
by Sarah Alderson
PUB: Aug 5th 2011
by Simon & Schuster UK
REVIEW COPY: Personal Paperback


....


17-year-old Lila has two secrets she’s prepared to take to the grave. The first is that she can move things just by looking at them. The second is that she’s been in love with her brother’s best friend, Alex, since forever.

After a mugging exposes her unique ability, Lila decides to run to the only people she can trust—her brother and Alex. They live in Southern California where they work for a secret organisation called The Unit, and Lila discovers that the two of them are hunting down the men who murdered her mother five years before. And that they’ve found them.

In a world where nothing and no one is quite as they seem, Lila quickly realises that she is not alone—there are others out there just like her—people with special powers—and her mother’s killer is one of them…



....

If you’re like me you’ve read reviews of Hunting Lila around the blogosphere and everyone keeps saying how amazingly good it is. I’ve been wanting to read it for what feels like forever, but it wasn't available on Kobo and I kinda wanted the paperback anyway. I ended up ordering it online from Chapters, but it was slow and took almost three weeks to get here (normal standard Chapters orders usually only take about 5 days.)

Finally Hunting Lila showed up in the mailbox.  As soon as I started reading the first page I was hooked. Hunting Lila deserves all the praise it’s getting. It’s fun, romantic and fast-paced. There are no spare pages hanging around killing time. Hunting Lila is  go, go, go.

Lila is actually an awesome character as the book progresses. At the start she seems way to obsessed with her brother’s best friend Alex (who she hasn’t see in years). She goes on and on about Alex to where I was a little embarrassed for her (however to be fair, Alex is PERFECT. He is crazy good looking, trained to kill and drives a motorcycle. I can’t say that I’d be any less crazy in love with Alex than Lila is.) She’s also really impulsive. After an attempted mugging she hops on a plane from London to California with only a text message to her brother Jack to let him know she’s coming.

Then there a came a point where I realised that I don’t think Lila is entirely stable and I found myself wishing I could see her from some of the other characters perspectives to see what they were seeing. Lila seemed a little flighty and definitely obsessive, but as the book progressed and we learn more about psys (people with special abilities) and we see that they tend to be more or less crazy. Because Lila is the narrator this isn’t obvious at the beginning, but towards the end I started to think Lila might be a little less than all there. I like thinking Lila is a little crazy. It makes me love her even more.

As for the plot, the less said the better to avoid any spoilers. Like I said, its action packed and filled with twists, turns and double-crosses. By the end your head is spinning. What makes Hunting Lila stand out from the crowd of paranormal YA is the way Sarah Alderson uses the paranormal element as only a part of the story. While the paranormal part of the story is important, the bigger story is about a covert government operation run by really really hot guys and the story is filled with Mission Impossible style moves and motives. The characters are well-drawn and easy to imagine. even when there was a large group I was easily able to keep track of new characters.
I really liked Hunting Lila and I can’t wait for the sequel. Sarah Alderson has become a “must read” author and I’m sure Hunting Lila will be a summer favorite for you too.


You can find out more about Lila and the Lila series HERE
To give you an idea of her characters, Sarah has a fantasy cast of characters HERE

I'd recommend you read Hunting Lila first, but while you wait for book two, Losing Lila 
you can read (Lila 0.5) Catching Suki. I've included the link to the link HERE



Here's the info on Losing Lila (COMING AUGUST 2nd 2012)
**You might want to skip the synopsis until after you've read Hunting Lila**


Alex and Lila are on the run, desperately trying to stay one step ahead of the Unit, which somehow is managing to track their every move. Whilst Alex is determined to keep Lila safe and her ability secret at any cost, Lila’s only thought is of finding a way back to California so that she can rescue her brother and mother from the military base where they’re being held.

Struggling to control both her growing power and her deepening feelings for Alex, Lila decides the time has finally come to stop running and start fighting. Together with Alex, Demos, and the people she’s come to think of as family, Lila plans not just to save her brother and mother, but to completely destroy the Unit and everything it stands for. 

But the plan requires Lila to return alone to California, make friends with the enemy, and to risk losing everything - Alex, her family, and even her life.



Oh, i can't wait !
Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I am seeing this book around a lot. I've gotten a few recommendations to read this. I definitely need to, it seems like it is worth the hype! Need to get to it before Losing Lila comes out... Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good. I also just finished Fated (another series) by Sarah Alderson and it was great too.

      Delete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...