Tuesday, May 8, 2012

REVIEW: Die for Me by Amy Plum

Die For Me (Revenants #1) by Amy Plum
Pub: May 5th 2011
by HarperTeen
Review Copy: e-book (personal KoboVox)



In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity. 


When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent. 


Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.
....


Die for Me was, in all honesty a book that before reading, I wasn’t really excited to read. I was curious but not bouncing out of my seat excited. I don’t know why. The cover is great, it takes place in, oh I don’t know, Paris. I have an actual dedicated “Paris Trip savings account” . That’s how badly I want to go to Paris. I’m actively saving up to go. Why would I not like this book?

But back to my review. I liked Die For Me. I liked the story. I liked the characters and I liked the setting and even better, this is a book that aged well in my mind. I read Die For Me a few weeks ago, but I’m insanely backed up on non-new release books so I’m just getting this review written now (in time for the release of book two Until I Die May 8th ).  I’m even more excited now for the next book then I was when first finished the book.

Die For Me is at times sad, sometimes funny and really sweet.  Kate’s had a really bad time, her parents have died and she and her sister have moved to Paris to live with their grandparents. She ends up befriending Vincent and the two fall in love, despite their differences.

While there were times when I thought Vincent was almost too sweet and sincere he never went so over the top that it took away from the story and I think we’ll see more to like in Vincent in book 2. By the end of the book I was won over. I like Vincent and I’m looking forward to seeing how he and Kate manage their relationship.

Just exactly what Vincent and his family are is a bit of a mystery in the book so I won’t spoil it. They are something that exists but how they are is unique to Amy Plum’s story (as far as I know. It’s something I find icky but I can overcome it for the fun of the story). Die For Me also has strong secondary characters that keep the story moving.  I liked all of Vincent’s family and hope we see more of them in the next book(s).

Overall, if you want a supernatural romance that takes place in the city of love I think you’ll like Die For Me. It has a sweet romance and enough of a subplot to keep it interesting.


Book 2 of the Revenant series comes out today!
you can find out more about the series at Amy Plum's WEBSITE


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the cast of characters, from the relationship between Kate and her older sister Georgia, to her grandparents and of course the love interest,Vincent Delacroix and his family/friends. I don't know what it is about Vincent that I liked so much. Sure, he's described as tall, dark and handsome with an air of mystery and maybe even a bad boy streak. He himself tells Kate that "I'm not the kind of guy your mother would want you hanging around with", but there's more to him than meets the eye. He has a secret and it's his paranormal ability and his romantic side that I found most intriguing. I loved how honest he becomes with Kate, and yes, he's another broken boy I'd love to adopt. Kate and Vincent have both been through a lot which makes them so compatible. I'm a sucker for a romance and Kate and Vincent definitely have a great love story. They're able to understand each other in a way others aren't able to and they're surrounded by people who help balance them out. I loved Vincent's house mates, especially Jules. He has this sense of humor and wit about them that makes his character so contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this book for a really long time (since it came out) and I met the author (she's AWESOME!) but I still haven't read it! I'm glad you really enjoyed it though, maybe now I'll make more of an effort to fit it in.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...