Friday, May 4, 2012

REVIEW: The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

The Calling (Darkness Rising #2)

By:Kelley Armstrong
Pub: April 10th 2012 by HarperCollins
Review Copy: personal hardcover




Maya and her friends--all of whom have supernatural powers--have been kidnapped after fleeing from a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set, and after a terrifying helicopter crash they find themselves pursued by evildoers in the Vancouver Island wilderness.


....

The Calling is the second book in Kelley Armstrong’s Darkness Rising trilogy and picks up right where The Gathering ended, with the families of Salmon Creek in the process of evacuating the town because of the forest fire. Maya, Daniel, Rafe and friends are loaded on a helicopter with the Mayor, still unsure what is going on after being almost captured by questionable people in the woods.

The action is fast –paced right from the beginning. The helicopter crashes soon after take-off and Maya, along with Daniel, Nicole, Hayley, Sam and Corey (and Rafe) spend the rest of the book trying to evade capture and get back to Salmon Creek and their families, while also trying to figure out what is going on, who is trying to kidnap them and why?

The group does not make it through this book intact and we learn more about each of the secondary characters as their loyalties are tested by the kidnappers. We also start to learn more about the St. Cloud’s project on the island and what sort of special powers this group has (and why they are important). We don’t learn everything but we start to see the pieces falling into place. Maya also learns about the group in Buffalo (The group from the Darkest Powers Trilogy) and her and her friends begin to see the connections between the two groups and an idea of the larger story going on.

The action is mostly suspenseful, with the threat of capture hanging over the group throughout the book. I thought The Calling was on par with The Gathering as having moments of excitement and intrigue but somehow still being a little disconnected. I find Maya hard to like. I don’t dislike her, I just don’t really care about her (yet?). I just don’t feel a strong connection to her. I really don’t feel a connection to any of the characters. I think this is just Kelley Armstrong’s writing style and the way I connect to it, since I pretty much feel this way about all her characters.

Overall I’d say I had fun reading The Calling. I enjoyed The Darkest Powers Trilogy and I can safely say I’m enjoying The Darkness Rising trilogy too. I’m really looking forward to the two stories coming together. There were no really big moments for me and it feels like a “middle of the series” book, but I really like how Kelley Armstrong has laid everything out and how it’s all moving towards what should be a really fun conclusion. These books are fun escape reads, plus bonus points for being in Vancouver Island (one of my favourite places in the world.)


For more about both The Darkest Powers and Darkness Rising series you can go to 

There are some neat stories and extras there.

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any of Kelley's YA books yet but I'm a HUGE fan of the UF series. One of these days... Great review though, I'm glad that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...