Thursday, March 8, 2012

REVIEW: Kiss of Frost By Jennifer Estep

Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy #2)
by Jennifer Estep
Pub:November 29th 2011 by Kensington
Review Copy: trade paperback (personal copy)


I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword..


....


I’ve wanted to read Kiss of Frost since it came out but, like I do with second books, I put it off, again and again. To get ready for my March challenge to catch up on second books in series, I ordered all the books I plan to read. Staring at the pile, deciding what to read next, I was immediately drawn to Kiss of Frost. I had a strong feeling that this was one book I would not be disappointed in. I was right. Kiss of Frost is a solid second book in this series and it left me optimistic that the Mythos Academy Series is one that has potential to grow stronger and more in depth as it progresses.

Touch of Frost ended with Jasmine, the student who was also a reaper dead after Logan Quinn, Spartan and Gwen’s crush, killed her and saved Gwen.  Gwen discovered that there was more to being a gypsy than she had originally thought. She learned that she is the goddess Nike’s champion and that a battle with Loki’s followers was an inevitable part of her future. She was also left a little broken-hearted when Logan turned down her advances, not wanting to risk touching Gwen and exposing his secrets to her.

Kiss of Frost picks up a few weeks after Touch of Frost ended with Gwen working hard to improve her fighting skills, hoping she’ll have a chance of surviving another reaper attack. She’s training with Logan, Oliver and Kenzie (the Spartans) but finding it depressing to be so near Logan all the time since he rejected her and started dating another girl.

After two attempts on her life, Gwen and Daphne (her pinktastic and deadly Valkyrie best friend), realise that a Reaper is after her. Gwen knows Jasmine’s family blame Gwen for her death. Daphne want’s Gwen to talk to Professor Metis and get help. Gwen plans to, but, tired of feeling weak in a school full of warriors, Gwen wants to figure out who’s after her on her own.

Daphne’s common sense answer of telling Gwen to tell her teacher about the attacks was a nice change from some stories. Reapers are very dangerous and there is no way Gwen can defend herself alone. She needs help. I liked the balance of common sense with Gwen’s own ego. Gwen wants to be a hero so she decides to keep the attacks a secret while she figures out what’s happening on her own.  For the most part, all the trouble that follows results from her decision to work alone.

The majority of the story takes place at the Winter Carnival/School ski trip. Gwen doesn’t want to go, but Daphne convinces Gwen she’ll be safer there since that’s where all the teachers will be, plus Gwen needs to get out and try and meet some new boys and hopefully get over her crush on Logan.

The Mythos Academy books have a really fun blend of the supernatural mixed with regular high school drama. Gwen is still enough of an outsider to see the differences. Situations that seem like normal high school drama are twisted just enough at Mythos to make them feel bizarre. Instead of winning stuffed bears at the carnival, kids win weapons (real weapons, not toys). Even being hunted by a reaper is considered more cool than horrifying.

In the romance department, Gwen makes some good progress in this book (I guess Kiss of Frost is a pretty good hint to that!) Gwen meets Preston, a boy from the other, New York School, who is also at the carnival. Preston’s interest in Gwen brings out the jealous side of Logan. Fans of the romance will definitely enjoy this whole story line. Gwen challenges Logan to make a choice and admit he wants her or leave her alone.

The mystery of who is the reaper after Gwen was really well done. I thought I knew what was going on, and then I wasn’t so sure and just exactly how it all played out was a really exciting twist I did not see coming at all.

There is some interesting information at the end of Kiss of Frost that seems to set up the larger future storyline for this series and it looks like things are going to get pretty wild in the third book. There is a great pace so far to the series, giving you just enough to keep you wanting more.

There was a sneak peek of Chapter one of Dark Frost (Mythos Academy #3, coming May 29th 2012) and that first chapter looks really good.

Overall, I’m now completely committed to reading the Mythos Academy series as soon as it comes out. It’s going on the auto-buy list. 

Happy Reading!

Don't forget to leave a comment on this review, then click HERE to enter my 
MARCHing through book 2 giveaway.


2 comments:

  1. to be honest it's a sery i'm really interested in but i still haven,'t managed to get my hand on the first one . after reading your review i know i must double my effort

    all the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been dying to read this series! I just got a copy of the second book and as soon as I get through my current review books it think this is going to be the first series I pick up. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...