Monday, March 19, 2012

REVIEW: Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins


Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)
By Rachel Hawkins
Pub: March 22nd 2011 by Hyperion Books
Review Copy: Trade Paperback (personal)



Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. 


That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth. 


Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers. 


But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?


....

**Spoilers to Hex Hall abound. Be warned**

Having read Hex Hall, the first book in the series last year, enough time had passed that I admit it took me a few pages to reacquaint myself with the characters and what was happening. Fortunately it all came back to me and I caught up with these characters right away. 


Demonglass was a great sequel. It picked up on the action of Hex Hall but also introduced new places, characters and action that kept me reading to see what would happen next.  Sophie quickly leaves Hex Hall for England with her previously unmet, but often mentioned dad. We finally get to meet Sophie’s demon dad and learn more about who Sophie is, the Prodigium and just what Sophie and demons in general are capable of.


At the end of Hex Hall, Sophie was set on having the “procedure” that would remove her powers.  Having watched Alice, her great grandmother brutally kill her schoolmate Elodie, Sophie was afraid to become the monster she was afraid she was destined to become, being a demon.


Sophie’s dad shows up in the first chapter and things move quickly from there. He is at Hex Hall both as head of the Prodigium and as Sophie’s dad. He doesn't want Sophie to have the procedure. He understands that Sophie has no idea what it means to be a demon and he wants to teach her. She is his heir to the leadership of the Prodigium and a very powerful girl. He decides that she is going to spend the summer with him in England and Sophie's mom agrees. He also decides that Cal is coming too. Sophie insists that her friend Jenna must come too. Her dad agrees willingly and the action quickly shifts to the Prodigium house in England. There were meet two more teenage demons.  I know –what? There aren’t supposed to be any other demons, just Sophie and her dad. 


The mystery of these two demons, Nick and Daisy, forms the majority of the mystery in Demonglass so I will tell you nothing else about these two. I will say it was all very intense and surprising and you will be impressed with what all unfolds.


For you fans of a certain dashing and deceptive former student by the name of Archer Cross, well, according to reports, Archer was last seen in England working for The Eye. If Archer is in England and Sophie is in England, what are the odds that these two will run into each other? But be warned Archer fans, someone else is making a play for our daring heroine. Remember how I said Cal came along to England with Sophie and crew? Cal creates a serious love triangle in Demonglass and I won’t lie, while I think Archer will win Sophie in the end, I’m Team Cal 100%. Cal is awesome. I was reading another book in which the characters are discussing how kindness is so easily mistaken as weakness and what a dangerous underestimation that is.That's Cal. He is kind but he is not weak. While I am against switching heroes mid series (oh, lord, it kills me when this happens) I was never big on Archer when I read Hex Hall and really, Cal was always there so why can’t he win Sophie? Not that this will happen, mind you, but I’m just saying.


I really liked how much Demonglass expanded out from Hex Hall.  Physically the shift away from Hex Hall to England really helped expand the plot. The whole story grew exponentially with Demonglass and having the characters move to a larger stage was essential. These characters are no longer dealing with school sized problems; they are dealing with much bigger issues that require a worldwide stage.


The third book in the Hex Hall trilogy came out March 13th, so the answers to the questions raised in Demonglass are ready and available. I’m really excited to read Spell Bound (I was only waiting to get this review written, so I could review Demonglass objectively before starting Spell Bound


The ending of Demonglass is great. It’s a cliff-hanger, which I know I’ve been complaining about lately, but, and here’s the important detail -  Demonglass tells its own complete story. The cliff-hanger is part of the larger overarching story. The mysteries of Demonglass are explained and explored fully. They have a very dramatic and intense conclusion and the set up for Spell Bound is heart pounding (yes, that sounds dramatic, but it’s really unexpected).


Overall, the first two books in this series are really good. Rachel Hawkins does a great job creating characters with real personalities. The story is well thought out and flows perfectly. It’s a very satisfying read and does not disappoint.






Happy Reading!


Don't forget Demonglass is part of MARCHing through book two so leave a comment and enter the draw to win the first two books from any of the series listed on that post. (click the link at the top of the page to get there).

4 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I had been holding out on reading this until I had Spell Bound at the ready! Feel silly now since the cliffhanger leans towards the series more than the book. But oh well, a cliffhanger is a cliffhanger and all cliffhangers are decidedly evil!!

    Loved your review! Very well written and has no spoiler worthy tidbits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review of this really makes me want to start the series!!

    Other than the awesome covers, I love that the second book is strong on its own, that it pushed everything in the plot and in the characters forward.

    I like that you're rooting for the other boy, Cal, and not the obvious choice:))

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cal is awesome! I've tried to avoid reviews of Spellbound but I do not think I will be happy in the romantic aspect. but the action should be pretty great if the previous books are any indication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review I read Hex Hall like a year ago, bought this one and never got to it but I've been itching to read it since I started seeing reviews for the 3rd. I'm glad you say this one expands a bit for the plot I was wondering if it would be a boring filler or actually have some plot for a second book.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...