Thursday, February 2, 2012

REVIEW: Between by Cyndi Tefft

Between
by Cyndi Tefft


Pub:April 21st 2011 by Createspace


Review Copy: personal e-book (Kobo Vox)

It just figures that the love of Lindsey Water's life isn't alive at all, but the grim reaper, complete with a dimpled smile and Scottish accent. 


After transporting souls to heaven for the last 300 years, Aiden MacRae has all but given up on finding the one whose love will redeem him and allow him entry through the pearly gates. 


Torn between her growing attraction to Aiden and heaven's siren song, Lindsey must learn the hard way whether love really can transcend all boundaries


....
I'll admit Between sort of fell out of the sky. Fans of Jeri Smith-Ready and Twitter know that there was some fun Robbie Burns Day this and that and one of those was a #FakeScotsmen twitter chat between The Shade series Zachary Moore and Between's Aiden MacRae. (BTW: I love fake twitter accounts and I really love fictional character accounts, when done right they can be hilarious). Anyhoo, that meant I had to read this book.


I wasn't sure what to expect from Between, but I was surprised how much I ended up really liking it.


Lindsey dies in a car accident and finds herself in between life and Heaven. Aiden is the transporter who has been sent to help her after her accident and be with her until she's called to Heaven.


Aiden and Lindsey instantly feel a connection and Aiden explains that Lindsey is the one whose love can redeem him, as he was promised would happen by the angel that brought him there. (Aiden can't go to Heaven and can only work between helping others.) Aiden has been stuck in between for 300 years. Oh and  he's really good looking, has a Scottish accent and wears a kilt. So...Yeah, there's that too.


The two fall in love as they share parts of their past. While between they can both cast memories and watch them in great detail, sharing important parts themselves and learning more about each other.


There are quite a few angel/fallen angel books out there, but Between is different from the majority in that there is no plotting or manipulation from Heaven. God is good. He only wants good things to happen and while the characters may not know what His plans are, He has a plan. I  liked the characters pro-Heaven stance. It was nice to have a nice God looking out for them. There is a definite Christian feeling to this book, so be warned if that is something find off-putting in your reading.


Now, I'll admit I was starting to wonder if I was going to love this book, because in the beginning   it was kinda only feeling okay to me,  but then about chapter 18 (maybe 19) something really awesome happened. 


I can't say what, but it was not what I was expecting to have happen and it completely shocked me and hooked me into the story. I had to power through the rest of the book to find out how everything resolved. 


The ending was a second surprise that wasn't what I was expecting (but also in a good way). The end sets up a second book in the series and I'll definitely be reading it to see where the series goes with Lindsey and Aiden.


Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I liked the characters and I liked the story. I liked Lindsey and I liked how she reacted to events as they came at her. Between has it's own take on the afterlife and it works.



Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...