Wednesday, January 18, 2012

REVIEW: Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Wither (The Chemical Garden #1)
by Lauren DeStefano


Pub: Mar. 22nd 2011 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Review Copy: personal e-book (Kobo VOX)


Obviously, something went terribly wrong. Genetic mutations have festered, reducing human longevity to twenty-five, even less for most women. To prevent extinction, young girls are kidnapped, mated in polygamous marriages with men eager to procreate. Sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery, a recent victim of this breeding farm mentality, has vowed to break loose from its fetters; but finding allies and a safe way out is a challenge she can only hope she will survive.


....

I debated reading Wither last year when it came out, but never got around to it. Then, just before Christmas I received an ARC of the sequel, Fever. I started Fever a couple of days ago, and, liking it, decided to leave it for a couple of days, go back and read Wither to get a better perspective on the story.


I really enjoyed Wither. Rhine's voice is so clear, it gets into your head. The whole situation is so surreal that her reactions felt true. There is a dream like quality to the narration that fits with the story line.


This story reads like a vivid nightmare. Because the story is told from Rhine's point of view, you end up struck in her head. We only know what Rhine knows and she doesn't know much. Rhine is pretty helpless, but I liked her more for it. 


Rhine is not an aggressive person and her rebellion against her husband and the house she's been sold to is subtle. She learns to use the skills she has to win small freedoms and build a chance to escape.


I did feel like the way the world became this way was somewhat glossed over. While I understand that Rhine herself doesn't really understand what happened (and her ignorance is, as it always is in the book, our ignorance), it all felt a little too convenient. 


But, overall I couldn't put it down, even having some idea what was coming I wanted to know the small things. Being trapped in Rhine's head can be limiting but it's also addicting.







1 comment:

  1. New follower!

    Great review! I keep telling myself to pick this book up because it sounds so good. I've heard some really great stuff about this book, so I think I'll be getting it soon ^.^

    Angela @ http://thelittlebluepig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...