Friday, January 6, 2012

REVIEW: My Soul To Take by Rachel Vincent

My Soul To Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent


Orig. Pub: July 29 2009 by Harlequin
Review Copy: part of Soul Screamers: Vol 1 (Omnibus)
pub: Nov. 2011 by Harlequin 
purchased by me.


She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally. 

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.







....

I was surprised just how much I enjoyed My Soul To TakeWho knew banshees would make for such an interesting story?


It's dark in that there is a great deal of death, especially the random deaths of innocent teenagers. But I liked Kaylee and I enjoyed the mythology of the book.  Kaylee has a tough time in this book and thinks she's going crazy and possibly dying at different points in the story, but it was an easy read because the deaths don't have a strong impact on the heroine or the reader and for the most part the plot is an engaging whodunit.


The ending was a bit meh in that I don't think there was a great deal of set up during the book that really explained it. It wasn't an impossible surprise, but it also wasn't an "ah, oh course" solution. The big reveal to the mystery of who is killing Kaylee's classmates is a, "Oh. Really? Yeah, I guess that makes sense." resolution.


There is also a likable romance between Kaylee and Nash, the cool kid from school. Nothing is too over dramatic and there is no frustrating love triangle. Kaylee does have doubts about Nash and how much his interest in her has to do with what she is, rather than who she is. I'm curious to see how this relationship develops. I got the sense that there might be something to Kaylee's uncertainty and that there might be more to their romance than first meets the eye.  I can't wait to see how it all plays out.


While I noticed a couple of inconsistencies that were slightly confusing overall I really did like this book. I  had a couple of late nights where I couldn't put it down, wanting to know what would happen next.


I'm reading the Omnibus which also has Soul Screamers #2 My Soul to Save , which I'm almost done too. It's been just as addicting and I'm looking forward to reading more of this series. 


Overall this one's a win!






1 comment:

  1. This series sounds good ... I'm going to give it a read. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...