Sunday, January 8, 2012

REVIEW: My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent

 My Soul To Save (Soul Screamers #2) 
By Rachel Vincent


orig. pub:Dec 29 2009 by Harlequin Teen
Review Copy: part of Soul Screamers: Vol 1 (Omnibus)
pub: Nov. 2011 by Harlequin 
personal paperback



When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.

So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn't wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can't cry for someone who has no soul.

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad's ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend's loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld—a consequence they can't possibly understand.

Kaylee can't let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk….

....

The Soul Screamers streak continues with another solid story. So far so good with this series. I'm still liking Kaylee and once again I found the plot interesting. 


One of my favourite features of the Soul Screamers series so far has been the emphasis on the story over the romance between Kaylee and Nash. Now I enjoy a good romance (as I'm sure you've figured out) but to really get into a series I want a reason to keep reading the whole book, not just skimming through the majority of the book between the romantic bits. Those books never hold up. These books all have a clear mystery that needs solving. It makes the books addictive, wanting to know just how it'll all play out in the end.


This, the second in the series, has Kaylee fighting to save the soul of a pop star who used to date Tod, Nash's reaper brother.


This sort of story plays well with the darkness in the Soul Screamers books. Death happens often and often remorselessly in these books. This makes it harder to judge if or how the ending will be a happy one. The ending did not disappoint and I've a few ideas what I think might happen next ( I've been avoiding peeking at the future book covers to avoid spoilers).


I was less engaged with this book that the first, but that is true with most series for me. However, I'm still a big fan and looking forward to reading the rest of the series in the coming months. 


I'm really curious where the series will go.  I can definitely see it being one I get really into.


Happy Reading!


over a [fikt]shun you can find a Soul Screamers reading challenge, if you need a little extra push to read this series!


Soul Screamers Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...