Wednesday, January 4, 2012

REVIEW: My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent

My Soul To Lose (Soul Screamers #0.5)
by Rachel Vincent
review format: Part of Soul Screamer: Vol 1 paperback
pub. Nov. 2011 by Harlequin Teen
orig. pub: July 1st 2009 by Harlequin Teen


It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life.
Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.
She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities...
....
This prequel novella was a great set-up and start to the Soul Screamers series. I'm still working my way through the Vol.1 collection (I'm about half done #2) and I've really been enjoying it so far.
My Soul to Lose introduces the reader to Kaylee Cavanaugh as she and her friend Emma are hanging out at the mall. Things go bad very quickly and Kaylee finds herself tossed into a mental hospital with no idea what is wrong with her and what secrets her family is keeping from her.
At less than 100 pages there isn't much in the way as plot, but it's a great introduction to the series (you can find the ebook online for under $3 - it was 2.69 through Kobo and possibly cheaper elsewhere if you check around). 
I'm  not sure if this point of Kaylee's life will become relevant later in the series so I don't know yet how strongly I'd recommend buying just this novella. If the series interests you, the first in the series, My Soul to Take was really good so depending of cost it might be a better value to buy the Omnibus I have (Soul Screamers Vol. 1) ($6.59 on Kobo -oh that's a way better deal!)
From reading this novella I'd say that Rachel Vincent writes with a voice and style that I really enjoyed, but buy the Omnibus since it's a better deal (unless you find the novella really cheap)
Happy Reading!

===I'm not recommending Kobo for online books. I just have a Kobo so it's the quickest for me to check. I have no opinions regarding e-readers and online e-book retailers. ===

1 comment:

  1. Can you believe I STILL need to start this series?!?! I've heard nothing but good about it and I just love the covers! The novella sounds really good! Thanks for the review :)

    Happy Holidays!

    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...