Friday, January 13, 2012

REVIEW: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

The Goddess Test (Goddess Test #1)
by Aimee Carter


Pub: April 19 2011 by Harlequin
Review Copy: personal paperback



It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.


Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.


....
The Goddess Test was quick, enjoyable read. I've read some mixed reviews about this book, but to be honest I enjoyed quite a bit. 


Here's the thing..
Is Kate a good role model for young girls? Hardly.
(she has no friends, no interests and falls in love with the first boy who pays her any attention.) 


Is Henry a great catch? Nope. 

(He is still in love with his first wife, pays no attention to Kate and seems kinda dull)



Will you be easily able to list things that bugged out about this book after reading it? Yeah.

(see above points)



But..
Will you enjoy the mystery of who trying to kill Kate? Yes. 

(I couldn't put this book down. I was hooked.)



Will this book make you want to go out and brush up on your Greek mythology? Yes again.

(I'm already planning to read up on all the gods./goddesses before I read the second book)

Will you end up recommending it to others as a good book? Most Likely. 



(sometimes a good read is just a good read. It may have it's faults but it also has that dash of magic that captures you and makes you love the story regardless.)



I love Greek mythology, and actually know most gods fairly well (We had a book of Greek myths when I was a kid I loved to read, plus I studied it in University) The Goddess Test has fun with Greek mythology and honestly, it should. Myths are stories. They are not hard, rigid facts of history. I like this trend of playing with mythology (although the Persephone Myth is getting a workout these days.) and I liked how Aimee Carter played with the characters. 


As I said above, yes, there are some things that kept this book from being a Great Book but when all is said and done I really liked it. It was fun. There were some great twists. I loved the idea of the tests Kate had to face (and what they were revealed to be). I liked the secondary characters too. I hope to see more of them in the next book.


Overall, this was another good read for me. If you can see the point I'm trying to make here, I think you'll like The Goddess Test too.




Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of mythology and that is part of what makes this book intriguing to me. I think the storyline sounds like it has some strong points and the mystery of it all sounds interesting. Plus- I am curious about what tests Kate will have to go through. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book as well. With Henry, I actually felt like he wasn't in love with Persephone anymore. I felt like he truly had been in love with her, and when he recognized that she would never love him, he was hurt so much that it consumed him. He feels unloved and unlove-able, so he naturally assumes that Kate will feel the same way. Even his encounter with Diana (the mom, right?) at the beginning shows this. He has lost hope. I think he is surprised that Kate loves him more than anyone. I can't WAIT for the next one!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...