Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Get your Scot on!

The Loch Ness monster is PLAID!
Wednesday January 25th is Robbie Burns Day and that means it's time to get your Scot on!


To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure if I'd post a Scottish post today, but  over at


Fictitious Delicious

They are celebrating with GET YOUR SCOT ON in support of Team Kilt  (which includes a chance to win an ARC of Shine (book three is the Shade series by Jeri Smith-Ready), so yeah I can muster up a post for that).

Now, to the getting on of my Scot....

As a matter of fact I have actually been to Scotland. I went when I was a kid with my parents and my grandparents (my dad's dad is my Scottish side).
I have even eaten Haggis (with mashed turnips) in Scotland.
Wow is right.


I still have some old souvenirs that I dug out for you all to see:


The book is Poems and Songs of Robert Burns that my Grandpa bought for me in Scotland -
He's not the sort to give out gifts and things so it's very special to me.

You can also see The Loch Ness Monster itself (who knew it was actually plaid?)
There's also an Edinburgh Castle bookmark, Moorland Heather soap and an Isle of Arran eraser. Very random but that's me.

How I get my Scot on part two is perhaps a little unique.
Read on and I'll explain.

James Fraser from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series is the granddaddy of Scottish book heroes (and he is a grandpa now so granddaddy is apt

I admit to falling out of the series the last couple of books, but the first one is amazing and while I like each subsequent one a little less than the last it's still a great series. 

But...
James Fraser is my second fun Scottish tidbit because I actually named my son after him. (I know!)  I have a James of my own (who is going to be a heart-breaker someday, I can already tell)

yes I am lazy and just took a picture of his pic on the wall but I love this picture

Now go pour yourself a glass of Glenfiddich and enjoy!









6 comments:

  1. Love it! That little Nessie is SO CUTE. And wow, your son will definitely be a heartbreaker--great picture. Thanks for taking part in TeamKilt's Burns Day party, Lisa! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeri,
      I try to support the series that I really like :), plus it is a great chance to show off my Nessie.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I love your post! Didn't know you still had your Loch Ness ,very cute and of course James is adorable. Happy Robbie Burns Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I still have my Nessie! She's usually busy guarding my Tolkien collection but with the reshelving still happening she had some free time to come to the blog. BTW- all that little stuff was in my Lego case from Legoland and I think the heather soap has permascented all of it.

      Delete
  3. What a fun post! My dad's Mum is my Scottish side, but I have yet to visit Scotland. You're so lucky! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a long time ago but I still have some great memories. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...