Friday, January 20, 2012

ADVANCE REVIEW: Fever by Lauren DeStefano

Fever  (The Chemical Garden Trilogy #2)
by Lauren DeStefano


Pub: Feb. 21st 2012 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing


Review Copy: ARC supplied by Simon & Schuster Canada



Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness. 

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary. 

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever

....
(Spoiler free)

I read Wither and Fever back to back and, I won't lie: I had some strange dreams. Along with that by the end of Fever I was exhausted. If Wither is a nightmare, Fever  is more of a delusion. Sometimes, I would have loved a chance at someone other than Rhine's point of view. Rhine seems to see so little and sometimes I wanted to know what someone else was thinking just to help me understand the big picture. Being Rhine for these two books is a lot of work.

Fever is faster paced,  with lots of new characters and lots of action. Wither takes place in one place, but Fever has Rhine and Gabriel trying to get back to Manhattan and Rowen (and that's not an easy thing to do). Rhine and Gabriel have a few missteps and meet some new friends and enemies along the way.


I've said before that second books in trilogies are always the hardest books to judge, and are really impossible to criticize without reading the final installment. So much of a second book is set up for the third and until we read the third we don't know how well the second book met that role. You will be left feeling like nothing was resolved. Resolution is for book three.


I felt like Fever spun me circles and left me a touch dizzy at the end. It left me itching to get book three to see what happens next. It feels like book three will be madness and I can't wait to read it.


Overall, if you liked Wither, you will like Fever without a doubt. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...