Thursday, December 8, 2011

Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (#88)

Tempest Rising (Jane True #1) by Nicole Peeler
Pub: Oct 27th 2009 by Orbit Books
review copy: purchased paperback


Living in small town Rockabill, Maine, Jane True always knew she didn't quite fit in with so-called normal society. During her nightly, clandestine swim in the freezing winter ocean, a grisly find leads Jane to startling revelations about her heritage: she is only half-human. 

Now, Jane must enter a world filled with supernatural creatures alternatively terrifying, beautiful, and deadly- all of which perfectly describe her new "friend," Ryu, a gorgeous and powerful vampire. 

It is a world where nothing can be taken for granted: a dog can heal with a lick; spirits bag your groceries; and whatever you do, never-ever rub the genie's lamp. 

If you love Sookie Stackhouse, then you'll want to dive into Nicole Peeler's enchanting debut novel. (from goodreads.com)



Review:


I'd heard great things about the Jane True books by Nicole Peeler and, honestly they so sound exactly like the type of book I'd like. The book is marketed "if you like Sookie Stackhouse you'll like this" and I'd say that's probably true.

Jane is living a pretty crappy life in Rockabill, Maine when she discovers the supernatural truth about her parentage during a murder investigation. The book is told from Jane's point of view and has a sometimes bitter, but mostly sarcastic tone to it. 


Tempest Rising has lots of snark and humour, but also some darker parts to it. Jane lost a loved one who drowned and the repercussions have a huge impact on her personally and socially. 


This book did remind me of the Sookie Stackhouse books in some ways. Jane is a simple small town girl who is exposed to a larger supernatural world. She needs to decide how much of that world she wants to discover and where she fits into it. Also, while I liked Tempest Rising, I can't say I loved it. I felt similarly about Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris, but the Sookie Stackhouse series as a whole is easily one of my all time favourite series.


While I didn't love the book it had a great vibe to it. I feel like a can really get into Jane and her world and it feels like a world I want to invest in. I will definitely be reading more of the series in the hopes of falling in love with this world.


Plus, how awesome is the cover to this book? It's so unique that I'm not sure how you could possibly walk by this book and not pick it up to take a look at it. I love how different this cover looks from the rest of the supernatural pack of books.


Overall, Jane True is worth your time. Tempest Rising is a good story with a bit of mystery (the actual mystery in the book becomes pretty obvious once all the characters are in play) but Jane is engaging and the world Nicole Peeler has created feels full of potential.


A unique and engaging start to a series

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...