Friday, November 18, 2011

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (86 of 111)

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1) by Richelle Mead
Pub: aug 16 2007 by Razorbill
review copy: purchased paparback


St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . . 
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever...(from goodreads.com)



REVIEW


So...wow. Vampire Academy is a really good book.


I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. I've put off reading it for a long time, assuming I wouldn't like it. I don't know why I didn't think I'd like it. It just sounded, cheesy? I don't know. I love Richelle Mead's Dark Swan series and the one Georgia Kincaid I read was really good (that's another series that's always on my I should really read that list). Honestly I had low expectations of really liking Vampire Academy. Then I read it and I couldn't put it down. 


I've decided the plus side of only discovering it now is that I have the whole series sitting there waiting for me. It's kind of the bonus for being late to the party. I liked it so much I'm going to read the rest of the series in paperback. It's my biggest compliment to a book or series. If I think I'll only read a book once I buy it on ebook to save on space, but if I love a book - I want it in paperback. If I really love a book I'll even buy it in paperback after reading the ebook. This drives my husband CRAZY! And yes, it speaks to a deep and possibly troubling book addiction, but I very rarely do this anymore (I promise!). Usually I try to anticipate and buy books I think I'll love in paperback to start. Okay, slightly off topic deep confession there.

Back to Vampire Academy. If, like me, you've put off reading the series, go for it. I think there's still some expanding and explaining of the world to happen, but there's lots of room in the rest of the series to gain understanding of this world. I liked the characters. They all seemed to have a nice mix of good and bad traits that made them interesting and I can see a lot of room for tensions to grow between characters. 

Rose Hathaway is a great main character. I felt like she had some real depth to her. While that makes her more interesting, I think it probably also means she's going to drive me crazy at some point in the series. Her and Lissa's relationship is definitely unique and I'm really curious to see how everything plays out.

The romance in the book is awesome too. Rose and Dimitri had crazy good chemistry and I loved the scenes between them. I've read some of the back covers to future books in the series so I know their story is one I'm going to want to follow to the end.

Overall, if you are a stubborn holdout of the Vampire Academy series, like me. I recommend you take the plunge and give it a try. I'm going to try and get through the series by Christmas so you can wait for my final verdict or join me in trying this popular series out.

maybe more of a 4.5 but SO GOOD!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it so much! I just read it like two months ago and was pleasantly surprised as well. ;) Well, not quite as much since I found it more decent than amazing, but I was super scared before going in! Lol. I'm real curious to see how I'll enjoy the rest of the series. Great review!

    Rebecca @ Kindle Fever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I've chosen you as a recipient of the One Lovely Blog Award.
    Happy reading & blogging!
    Cana
    http://placeofreeds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg i love vampire academy! and the succubus series is awesome. you have to read the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're liking this. It's one of my favorite series. It just gets better. Rose is a unique character. The world building and character depth is some of the best in any series I've read.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...