Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready (80 of 111)

Shift (Shade #2) by Jeri Smith-Ready
Pub: May 3rd 2011 by Simon Pulse
review copy:purchased e-book


Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.
Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.
As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart.
REVIEW:

I really enjoyed Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready so naturally I was a little leery of reading the second in the series. While I've had good luck with some second books, I'm always afraid if I read the second book and it's not as good as the first, I'll have ruined my impression of the first and tainted my enjoyment of it. 
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with Shift. I think I might have actually liked it more than Shade (and Shade was really good!). 
The characters grow and progress really nicely in Shift. Jeri Smith-Ready wisely avoids creating/continuing with a love triangle between Logan, Aura and Zachary. Instead we see Aura continue to grow and move forward from Logan's death. It's difficult and there are some rocky patches as Aura tries to balance her love and loyalty to Logan against the feelings she has for Zachary and the future she sees with him. Zachary has a hard time having faith that Aura cares for him over Logan and that creates some of the drama of the story, but the triangle is imagined, not real. 
Logan grows in Shift too. Aura comments along the lines that it's interesting that Logan had to die to grow up, and it is interesting to see Logan stay ghost long enough to discover the consequences of his actions. Logan was selfish in life and his love of Aura was more about him than her. In death, Logan's love becomes more about Aura and who she is.
Shift also expands on the questions Aura and Zach have about the Shift and what exactly happened to their parents that caused their unique abilities. We learn some surprising stuff and Shift ends with a nice set up for the third book Shine and based on the strength of Shift I'm really excited to see how it all ends.

An exciting story with a great romance!

1 comment:

  1. I loved this! Glad you liked it! :) I loved how much Aura and Zachary's relationship grew even though there were moments where I wanted to smack Zachary! Wonderful review!


    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...