Friday, November 4, 2011

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross (81 of 111)

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles #1) by Kady Cross
Pub: May 24th 2011 by Harlequin Teen
Review copy: purchased e-book


In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one except the "thing" inside her. 

When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch... 

Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits. Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret. 

Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help-and finally be a part of something, finally fit in. 

But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on, even if it seems no one believes her.



REVIEW:


I've had The Girl in the Steel Corset on mt TBR list since it came out, but I heard mixed reviews and put if off and didn't bother with it, then kinda forgot about it (you know how it goes.) 
A month or so ago, I read Kady Cross's free short story The Strange Case of Finley Jayne. This is a prequel to The Girl in the Steel Corset that introduces Finley. I liked it and thought it was interesting and most importantly it put The Girl in the Steel Corset back on my reading radar.
The Girl in the Steel Corset is really good. I thought the mystery was mysterious and the villian was villainous. I liked Finley. Her duelling personalities were both likable in their own way and I found her easy to root for.
The story jumps persective so we see the thoughts of multiple characters. For me, this added to the story, since I liked all the characters and enjoyed seeing how they saw the others. I would have liked to see some of the story from Jack Dandy (a shifty character who maybe isn't as bad as he seems who seems to like Finley a lot)'s point of view, but I guess that's something I'll have to look forward to in the future (hopefully).
This series has real potential to grow into something awesome. With the multiple perspectives there is real opportunity to grow all of the characters stories into something complex and unique. 
If you haven't tried steampunk, I would urge you to give it a try. While The Girl in the Steel Corset is steampunk, it doesn't overwhelm the story. The characters are well developed and have depth beyond their steampunky abilities. The steampunk elements are essential not just added in, but they shape the story and add some fun elements.
Overall a great read, I highly recommend it.


a great adventure!

1 comment:

  1. I've wanted to read this one myself, for a while now but still haven't gotten to the point of actually picking it up! Sadly. It looks soo good and your review makes it sound like it sure is too!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...