Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Spooooky Halloween Post!

OK, so not really, but Happy Halloween just the same. To celebrate this fun day,  I thought I'd share some of my favourite Halloween stories with you'll. Let's begin with the BEST Horror story of all Time!...


Number 1 - The Wolf Man




Well, maybe not that Wolf Man, but the old movie with Lon Chaney Jr. 


"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright. "

I love the original story of the Wolf Man. One  Halloween I watched a marathon of Wolf Man movies and I love the battle Lawrence Talbot faces as he struggles to survive the horror of turning into a beast and that there is no cure or way to fight against something reason and logic tell him is impossible. I know the originals are cheesy but they are still my favorites.  Plus, Lawrence Talbot is bitten by the gypsy/werewolf Bela, played by Bela Lugosi, which brings me to....

Number 2 - Dracula

Now don't judge, but I think I was around 5 years old the first time I saw Dracula starring Bela Lugosi. I read the book in my teens but I admit my first and most enduring image of vampires in not a sexy or a sparkly one. 

You'll have noticed that I have a weakness for old movies and classic horror stories, but I want to also highlight some books I've read recently that SCREAM Halloween to me!

Number 3  - The Grudge

I know, I know, another movie on a book blog? but seriously, The Grudge  (and Ju-On the original Japanese version and even The Grudge 2 if I'm being honest) All of them scared the heebie-jeebies out of me. And yes, despite my terror I was compelled to watch every version I could.
True Story:
One night I was laying in bed just about to fall asleep, head on my pillow, arm tucked cozily underneath. I was just about asleep when I felt a hand curl gently around mine under my pillow. I panicked and leaped up from bed. There was nothing and no  one there. I try and tell myself it was my other hand holding my hand...sometimes I believe it.

 I find the complete hopelessness of The Grudge is what makes it stand out for me. There is no way to save the day or outwit death. Most horror movies allow at least the protagonist to survive. The Grudge changes the rules.  And that woman who plays the ghost is freaky as hell.

 Number4  - Spooky Reads of 2011

I'm not really a horror reader these days so I can't recommend anything too bloody or ghoulish, but I have some fun suggestions if you're looking to be creeped out this Halloween. Pick one for the weekend and give yourself a spooky weekend treat!

Ghosts say BOO!

Feeling like something a little light and ghostly? 
Why not try The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker By Leanna Renee Hieber? It's full of Victorian Ghosts and just spooky enough to give you a spooky Halloween chill. You'll spend the weekend checking for cracks in the sky....


Werewolves say GROWL!

Well, I didn't actually read any scary Werewolf books this year, but since I've already recommended The Wolf Man that'll have to do.Here's a link to the book version of the newer movie

Vampires say NOTHING! (they just bite you)

While not scary, Insatiable by Meg Cabot does feature Dracula, so how can I not recommend it?


Some other Spooktacular books I recommend for Halloween are:

Graveminder
Darkfever
The Restorer

Happy Halloween Everyone!



1 comment:

  1. Haha, I saw the Sweet Valley cover and went, "flashback!" :D I really want to read several of the books you mentioned! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...