Friday, October 7, 2011

Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep (75 of 111)

Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin #1)
By: Jennifer Estep
Pub Jan 26th 2010 by Pocket Books
Purchased e-book



They call me the Spider. I'm the most feared assassin in the South — when I'm not busy at the Pork Pit cooking up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone elemental, I can hear everything from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don't use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride.
Now that a ruthless Air elemental has double-crossed me and killed my handler, I'm out for revenge. And I'll exterminate anyone who gets in my way — good or bad. I may look hot, but I'm still one of the bad guys. Which is why I'm in trouble, since irresistibly rugged Detective Donovan Caine has agreed to help me. The last thing this coldhearted killer needs when I'm battling a magic more powerful than my own is a sexy distraction...especially when Donovan wants me dead just as much as the enemy. (from goodreads.com)

REVIEW:

I'd read many a good review of the Elemental Assassins series by Jennifer Estep and last weekend I needed a good Urban Fantasy series to escape into.  I was not disappointed! Estep creates a strong world with interesting magical elements combined with a mafia touch. Add to that the heroines job as an assassin known as The Spider because of her ability to sit patiently waiting in a corner to catch her prey. 
I liked Gin a lot. While she's tough (she is an assassin after all!) and quick witted, she's not annoyingly so. There is a nice balance between strength and vulnerability that makes Gin a character you want to follow on the adventures ahead of her. 
I really liked the connections Gin had to the secondary characters.  I felt the investment Gin had in them. The dynamic between Gin, Finn (who is an older brother type figure to Gin) and Donovan Caine, the cop who is drawn into Gin's web, but who is also the former partner of one of her past hits had energy and kept the story flying forward.
For me, a strong urban fantasy also has a strong mystery to it. The mystery is what helps keep me invested in the series. I need to know the truth behind the false constructs. The best Urban Fantasy books lead you down a (usually dark) path of discovery with the hero/heroine with no guarantee who will survive the trip. Spider's Bite set up a great mystery that I want to invest in.
Overall, Spider's Bite has me hooked and I'm very curious to catch up with the rest of the series. 


A strong start to the series. I'm hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...