Sunday, October 2, 2011

Seers by Heather Frost (74 of 111)

Seers by Heather Frost
Pub:Oct. 4th 2011 by Bonneville
review copy provided on NetGalley




For Kate Bennet, surviving the car wreck that killed her parents means big changes and even bigger problems. As she begins to see auras and invisible people, Kate must learn to trust Patrick O'Donnell, a handsome Guardian, or risk her life being overrun with Demons. She soon realizes that both she and her heart are in big-time trouble. (from goodreads.com)






Review:


I'll have to keep this review  sort of short since I am VERY conflicted about how to review and rate Seers so I really don't know what to say. 
I guess I'll start with the bad.
WHY? oh why why why why??? must I, the poor reader, be so frequently subjected to mind-numbing ogling of the male love-interest's physical perfection. Not just in Seers BTW this is a problem in many the YA love story. I'm not saying he can't be good looking, of hell, even sparkly new and perfect but do I have to be reminded of this OVER and OVER again. At some point shouldn't the heroine be discovering something more to this guy if this is (supposedly) a GREAT LOVE? 
Also, all heroines need to remember one important word. BREATHE. Seriously. You are human and will die if you don't. No matter how much you like his pecs or his "famous" crooked half-smile, you need to  breathe. This is important. If you are repeatedly almost passing out because you keep forgetting to breath you need to get help.
So yes, Seers has many of the little things that drive us YA readers nuts. There were times when I had to glaze over the dialogue to avoid cringing at the way Kate was acting. 
But now, the good. 
Well, I was actually really hooked while reading Seers. I read it in two nights, staying up late both nights to finish it.
Do you ever watch shows like Lost Girl?  Or something like Xena: Warrior Princess or even Buffy? (watch season one of DVD, it's pretty brutal) The special effects are weak, the acting is mediocre at best and you know you  will be made fun of by friends and family for watching, but at the core of the series there is a mythology or story that you can invest in and it keeps you watching year after year no matter how bad the green screen effects are. You care what happens to these characters no matter how bad the make-up is. Seers is a book version of this. 
While the plot isn't all new (sort of Hush, Hush meets Shade with dash of Twilight personality syndrome) It was good. I was curious what will happen next. There is a lot of set up for future plot and I admit that I look forward to Kate's future run in with the Demon Lord (who hopefully will also have a charming smile and a great body and will create the currently absent Love Triangle). The plot had some nice twists and I liked the secondary characters. They were well constructed and added nicely to the plot. 
I guess overall, while Seers is an easy book to pick apart the fact still remains that I really enjoyed it while I was reading it, I liked it  and I'm looking forward to reading the (I'm assuming there will be one) sequel.


Overall, It's a fun read with great potential for future books in the series



















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...