Thursday, July 14, 2011

books, books and MORE books

So, I don't have any reviews coming up for the next few days. I'm backlogged and brain frozen. I've been super-duper CRAZY busy this last week and I haven't been able to settle down and actually READ a book cover to cover. I've started three this week and keep hopping around and possibly starting a forth. EEK! You know when you're stressed and you can't quiet your brain enough to actually use it? That's me right now. 


So here is an update of all the lovely books I'm reading plus what I ordered from Chapters the other day, just in case I didn't have enough books to read (If Hoarders ever does a buried alive by books edition I could be on it.)




The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn :

Mira | June 21, 2011 | Trade Paperback
Partners now in marriage and in trade, Lady Julia and Nicholas Brisbane have finally returned from abroad to set up housekeeping in London. But merging their respective collections of gadgets, pets and servants leaves little room for the harried newlyweds themselves, let alone Brisbane's private enquiry business.
Among the more unlikely clients: Julia's very proper brother, Lord Bellmont, who swears Brisbane to secrecy about his case. Not about to be left out of anything concerning her beloved—if eccentric—family, spirited Julia soon picks up the trail of the investigation.
It leads to the exclusive Ghost Club, where the alluring Madame Séraphine holds evening séances…and not a few powerful gentlemen in thrall. From this eerie enclave unfolds a lurid tangle of dark deeds, whose tendrils crush reputations and throttle trust.
Shocked to find their investigation spun into salacious newspaper headlines, bristling at the tension it causes between them, the Brisbanes find they must unite or fall. For Bellmont's sake and more they'll face myriad dangers born of dark secrets, the kind men kill to keep…. (From back cover)


So far I'm enjoying it. I still love Julia and Brisbane. I think I'm taking my time with this because I want to enjoy it and actually use my brain while I read it. 


Divergent by Veronica Roth



HARPERCOLLINS PUBLISHERS | April 25, 2011 | Hardcover

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue-Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is-she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

(excerpt from back cover)


I was really excited about this book and really excited to read it, but I sort of stopped about halfway through. I like it, and I know it's really popular but I had trouble really getting into it. I'll try and get back into it and finish it soon.


The Luxe by Anna Godberson

Beautiful sisters Elizabeth and Diana Holland rule Manhattan's social scene. Or so it appears. When the girls discover their status among New York City's elite is far from secure, suddenly everyoneÂ-from the backstabbing socialite Penelope Hayes, to the debonair bachelor Henry Schoonmaker, to the spiteful maid Lina BroudÂ-threatens Elizabeth's and Diana's golden future.
With the fate of the Hollands resting on her shoulders, Elizabeth must choose between family duty and true love. But when her carriage overturns near the East River, the girl whose glittering life lit up the city's gossip pages is swallowed by the rough current. As all of New York grieves, some begin to wonder whether life at the top proved too much for this ethereal beauty, or if, perhaps, someone wanted to see Manhattan's most celebrated daughter disappear...
In a world of luxury and deception, where appearance matters above everything and breaking the social code means running the risk of being ostracized forever, five teenagers lead dangerously scandalous lives. This thrilling trip to the age of innocence is anything but innocent (excerpt from online)
This was published in 2008, so it's an older book but it was recommended to me by another blogger and I've had it on my TBR pile for months. I've only read the first few chapters but so far I'm liking it. It's a little bit different from what I usually read and I'm liking the change. 

My Favorite Countess by Vanessa Kelly

This is the third, and newest book in Vanessa Kelly's series following Mastering the Marquess & Sex and the Single Earl. The three books were available for a great combo deal at KOBO (they might still be) and I would highly recommend them. I'm not very far along but I already know I'll like it because the first two were really good.





And that is where I'm at.
I've also got some books sent to me that I said I'd read (and I will - I promise!)
I also ordered
Happily Ever After by Gregory Maguire, Bill Winningham & Susanna Clarke.
               I was thinking about Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell the other day and wondered if Susanna Clarke had written anything else. This can up so I decided to order it to give it a read.
Heartless by Gail Carriger
               I couldn't find it at the store near me so I just ordered it. 
The Native Star by M.K. Hobson
                      I don't remember where the recommendation for this came from, but if you read the blurb you'll see what started me thinking about Susanna Clarke. 
Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
                     I really liked Graveminder and this series gets great reviews. I'm really excited to read this on
A Matter of Magic by Patricia Wrede
                    This came out last year, but it looks really good.

And that's a glimpse into the future. Hopefully I'll get some reading done and get some reviews written up. 
                     
Happy Reading!



1 comment:

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...