Friday, July 29, 2011

63 of 111 Invitation to Ruin by Bronwen Evans

Published March 1st 2011 by Kensington Publishing Corporation
The only thing Miss Melissa Goodly has ever wanted out of a marriage is love. But any hope of that dissolves one wild night, when she loses herself in the arms of the most irresistible--and unobtainable--man in all of England. For when they are discovered in a position as compromising as it is pleasurable, she has no choice but to accept his proposal.
Avowed bachelor Anthony Craven, Earl of Wickham, never meant to seduce an innocent like Melissa. Yet now that the damage is done, it does seem like she'd make a very convenient wife. After all, she is so naive he won't have to worry about ever being tempted. Or so he thinks, until the vows are spoken and they are left alone--and his new bride reveals a streak just as brazen and unrestrained as his own. . .(from Goodread.com)
**This book was sent to me by the author**

Review:

I had to think about Invitation to Ruin for a couple of days before writing my review. It was much more then I expected and left me with lots to think about. I found it much darker than I thought it would be, but the added depth made it a really interesting book to read. If I seem a little vague it's because I don't want to spoil the plot since this a book I would recommend.
This is the sort of novel that would be great for a book club. I can think of so many great discussion questions. I would love to hear other readers thoughts about various parts of the plot.
Anthony, the hero, is much darker than most romantic heroes. He really has done some terrible things in his life (unforgivably bad!) This made the book harder to read in that, as a reader, you really have to think about Anthony and how you feel about him. He's not just a generically tortured soul, he has real scars and he's done real damage to other people in the past. Thinking about it afterwards, I've decided that I appreciate this. I like that the author wasn't afraid to give us a real character who actually needed to work at becoming a better person. Along with that, some really bad things actually happen to Melissa in this book and she is not so fortunate as some heroines we read about.
While I liked the depth of the main characters in this book I sometimes didn't really like the characters themselves.
It was hard for me to like Melissa because I wouldn't have forgiven Anthony, for what he did in the past and how he treated her. I am not as nice as her and sometimes I had to roll my eyes at her. He was awful to her and I would never have been able to love him like she did. It made it hard for me to invest in her choices.
Like I said before, I liked that Anthony was a truly tortured. But while I couldn't like him, I found his character fascinating. I could have read more about him and his past, if only to have tried to understand him better.
Overall, this book was really good and really frustrating. I read it in three nights, reading almost half of it the first night. It was easy to become engrossed in the characters and the plot, but when I finished reading it I had to rant about all the characters and the things that drove me CRAZY. 

Well developed characters keep you hooked on the story

Some VERY steamy scenes
 (also scenes of sexual violence/rape)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...