Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Something more important than a book....

I know, how can something be more important than a book?
Well, this is and I wanted to write a quick post about it.
I hate to be preachy and if this has no interest to you, just skip over what I'm about to write, I just wanted to post some info because this is something I feel really passionate about.

I was over at Alice's Bucket List. It's a blog started by a 15 yr old girl with cancer who is trying to 
get the word out about the importance of Bone Marrow donation.

I know lots of you hate needles, blood and all that "icky stuff" but it's really not that bad.
I was a Donor for Life (a designation given for 4 or more blood donations in a year) for many years before I had
kids. Donating blood is EASY. Seriously, you sit in a chair for 15-20 minutes then they give you a drink and a cookie.
If you've never given blood, go give it a try. It's really easy and it'll warm you up to the idea of bone marrow donation.
As to bone marrow donation. I'm on the registry. It's really easy to do. Google Bone marrow registry and your country and I guarantee a link will come up.
In Canada it was as easy as reading some info and filling out a quiz. A few weeks later an envelope came in the mail with swabs and directions to follow. 
I mailed back my swabs and got the confirmation that I'm in the registry.
If I'm ever a match I'm willing to step up and give my bone marrow.
Even if it is painful (I have no idea) What is a few minutes of discomfort/pain if you can be the
 ONE PERSON that might save someone else's life?

It's the little steps we take to help each other that make the world a better place. 

Here are some links to help you out

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...