Saturday, June 18, 2011

54 of 111 The Darkly Luminous Fight For Persephone Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber

Learning the truth of her mythic past and that of the reincarnated souls called The Guard is only the beginning, for young Percy Parker’s destiny is to defend both the world and true love from the gathering undead minions of Darkness (From Goodreads.com)


TDLFFPP (even that is a handful to write) is the sequel to The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker (reviewed HERE). It continues on immediately following the events of the first book.
I really liked Strangely Beautiful and while I didn't enjoy it as much I still really liked Darkly Luminous. I thought the plot was slow in this one, but there is just something so lovely about how Hieber  creates the world of Percy and The Guard. I find myself sinking into it so easily. Everything is easy to imagine and feels so clearly realized and vivid that it's easy to slip right into their world.  
As I said, not much seemed to happen in the book, the characters spend most of the book waiting for something to happen, but the characters are  so well realized that reading about them waiting is still really enjoyable. I liked spending more time with The Guard and watching them work out their problems. Rebecca, in particular. It takes skill to write a character who is jealous of the heroine and in love with the hero, but who is also sympathetic and never petty. We expect the guard to be noble and watching them balance their extreme responsibility with their human weaknesses was what kept me reading.
I find these are complicated books to try and explain to someone, especially without ruining the story. If you are interested in reworkings of Greek Mythology or just want to try something different them I'd recommend this series. I'm not even sure what to compare it to, but I know that I've definitely enjoyed them and I'll be reading more of Leanna Renee Hieber's work.


Unique and interesting characters will keep you reading

Themes of Eternal love, mostly implied romance/sex



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...