Sunday, June 12, 2011

52 of 111 Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison

Half-human and half-wyr, Pia Giovanni spent her life keeping a low profile among the wyrkind and avoiding the continuing conflict between them and their dark Fae enemies. But after being blackmailed into stealing a coin from the hoard of a dragon, Pia finds herself targeted by one of the most powerful - and passionate - of the Elder races. 

As the most feared and respected of the Wyrkind, Dragos Cuelebre cannot believe someone had the audacity to steal from him, much less succeed. And when he catches the thief, Dragos spares her life, claiming her as his own to further explore the desire they've ignited in each other. Pia knows she must repay Dragos for her trespass, but refuses to become his slave - although she cannot deny wanting him, body and soul ..."(From Back Cover)




I had only heard good things about Dragon Bound, but I admit I put off reading it since I don't have the best of luck with Paranormal romances. It's a genre that has disappointed me and worse, sometimes bored me. That said, I really enjoyed Dragon Bound. I have always loved Dragons and I loved how Harrison blended Dragon qualities into Dragos, her hero. His hoard, and knowledge of it (Pia steals a 1962 penny and replaces it with another, but Dragos doesn't consider a 1975 penny a fair replacement) was so Dragon-y and fun. I loved how the characters were individuals with human personalities but they still fell into acting like the mythical creatures they are were when they got emotional. I won't spoil the secret of what Pia is, even though if you have any knowledge of mythical creatures you'll figure it out about 5 pages in. I liked the blend of  who Pia was as a person mixed with her creature traits. Both she and Dragos often acted like their creature rather than people and it made their actions and personalities understandable and sometimes even forgivable. When Dragos acts like a crazy alpha-male, it's because he's a dragon. When Pia runs and hides and refuses to fight, it's not because she's a weak person, but because that's what she's been programmed to do. Harrison didn't just throw a creature out there, she really made her characters a nice blend of person/mythical creature.
I really enjoyed the blending of mythology with modern times, there was a fun mix of creatures that will add variety to the rest of the series. 
Overall, I was surprised by how much I liked Dragon Bound. It had more going for it than just the romance that kept me wanting to keep reading to find out what would happen next. Along with that I really enjoyed the story between Dragos and Pia. They had more going on than just a lot of lustful glances. The story happens fast, about a week in time, but as supernaturals they play the "mate" card to explain the fast and deep love that happens between the characters. there are some steamy scenes and Dragos, being a dragon is, of course, smokin' hot so it doesn't disappoint.
Fans of Paranormal romance will definitely like this book and fans of fantasy will find much to enjoy in it as well.


a solid story with well thought out characters

Steamy scenes but nothing over the top


Next Up: I'll be finishing The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...