Monday, May 2, 2011

42 of 111 The Barefoot Princess by Christina Dodd


Life in exile from her kingdom has taught passionate Amy to hate injustice, and on the enchanting English isle of Summerwind, she finds injustice personified by the powerful and wickedly handsome Jermyn Edmondson, marquess of Northcliff. Since he has stolen the islanders’ livelihood, Amy decides to steal him. She kidnaps the arrogant nobleman, chains him with his own manacles and holds him for ransom.
It’s a simple plan, destined to succeed. Surely Jermyn’s uncle will pay his ransom. Alas, his uncle would be delighted if someone killed his nephew and left him to inherit the title and fortune. And holding the furious, guileful, sensual Jermyn chained in her basement provides a challenge to Amy's restraint … and her virtue.
How could such a little revenge and blackmail go so passionately wrong?


This is the first novel by Christina Dodd that I've read, but I follow her on twitter and she comes across witty and interesting so I decided to actually read one of her books. I chose this one because she recommended it online. 
For the most part I really liked this book. It was well-written and the characters were well-created. I could imagine them all easily and found this story easy to get into. 
That said I really hated Jermyn (the hero). Amy was tough and could handle him and was a nice balance to Jermyn so the relationship between them worked but there was a point in the book where I really wished Amy had shot him (in a Lord of Scoundrels awesomeness sort of way). 
Overall, I really enjoyed the story and it kept me interested, and in the end that means more than a likable hero.
 I liked Dodd's writing style so while I wasn't in love with this book, I feel like she's probably written another one I will love.

Rating
3.5 out of 5

Coming Up!
Tomorrow 3 books I've been looking forward to come out, 
Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris 
Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill 
Bite Club by Rachel Caine


I'll probably read Bite Club first since I buy the Morganville Vampire series as ebooks, but the other two I'll buy as paper books. 
It'll be a good reading week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...