Thursday, April 14, 2011

37 of 111 The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

"Maya lives in a small medical-research town on Vancouver Island. How small? You can''t find it on the map. It has less than two-hundred people, and her school has only sixty-eight students - for every grade from kindergarten to twelve. Now, strange things are happening in this claustrophobic town, and Maya''s determined to get to the bottom of them. First, the captain of the swim team drowns mysteriously in the middle of a calm lake. A year later, mountain lions start appearing around Maya''s home, and they won''t go away. Her best friend, Daniel, starts getting negative vibes from certain people and things. It doesn''t help that the new bad boy in town, Rafe, has a dangerous secret - and he''s interested in one special part of Maya''s anatomy: Her paw-print birthmark'


The Gathering is a hard book to review in the sense that it, in no way at all, stands alone. It is the first in a new trilogy and sets up the future story and characters, but, alone, the story is unfinished. It is also very connected to The Darkest Powers Trilogy, so it's hard not to tie the two together.
I wouldn't recommend this book on it's own. Go and read The Darkest Powers trilogy, which itself reads more like three parts of a large book. Since this new series is the same format, you could then read this book, or wait until all three are out and read them together. That would be less frustrating. Be warned: You will be left hanging at the end of this book, since it's all set up. Since I knew this going in, it didn't bother me, but it helps to know these things.
Maya is a likable character and the secondary characters had hinted at secrets of their own that will be interesting to discover. Since we can already guess some of the secrets of the small town Maya lives in, it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out in the future. It's always interesting in Kelley Armstrong books to find out who will turn out to be the good guys and who'll be the bad guys. It's never clear at the beginning.
I like Kelley Armstrong's writing, and I like how all of her books connect in the same world. You recognize names between series and it adds to the books. My favorite Kelley Armstrong book is Bitten, the first in the Women of the Otherworld series and I would highly recommend it if you haven't read Kelley Armstrong before.  I admit I had trouble getting into Dime Store Magic (Book 3) so I haven't got as far along in the series, but she is always sitting in my TBR eventually list. 
Overall. If you like Kelley Armstrong you'll want to read this book, especially if you read The Darkest Powers Trilogy. I'm really interested to see where all of this goes. If you have the patience, wait until all three are out to read, but you won't be disappointed in The Gathering


Rating
3.5 out of 5 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see a review of this. I ordered it the other day off Amazon and am anxious to read it. I think I definitely agree with you, in that her books work better if read as one long story, but I'll still read this one ASAP. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...