Thursday, March 31, 2011

33 of 111 Cold Magic by Kate Elliot

"It is the dawn of a new age... The Industrial Revolution has begun, factories are springing up across the country, and new technologies are transforming in the cities. But the old ways do not die easy.

Cat and Bee are part of this revolution. Young women at college, learning of the science that will shape their future and ignorant of the magics that rule their families. But all of that will change when the Cold Mages come for Cat. New dangers lurk around every corner and hidden threats menace her every move. If blood can''t be trusted, who can you trust"



So, I know this book came out of nowhere and I hadn't mentioned it at all before reading it. I entered the DA BWAHA book tournament this year (it's not over yet but I peaked at 37th place, pretty good if you ask me!). Point is, I picked Dark Road to Darjeeling by Deanna Raybourne to win. If you have never read her books go and read them starting with Silent in the Grave. They are seriously awesome books, BUT, Dark Road to Darjeeling lost to Cold Magic and knocked me out of contention. Since the main point of DA BWAHA is to raise awareness of the books in it, I really had to read Cold Magic since it played such a significant role in my losing. (There are a couple other books I'm planning on reading since they were my picks or books that beat my picks. I'm going to start a special DA BWAHA reading side-list). So anyhoo, I picked up Cold Magic and couldn't put it down. It was totally my kind of book. 
Cold Magic is the first of the Spiritwalker trilogy. The second book Cold Fire comes out in September. I tried to explain to my husband the plot of this book and he looked at me like I was crazy. It's a wild, twisting story that is a mash-up of fantasy, steampunk, and romance with a little war a pinch of magic and a nice dash of family betrayal. Seriously awesome. I hate to give away any of the plot because discovering what happens next was part of the fun. There end of this book leaves you hanging, waiting for what will happen next. 
If you like a little romance, this is one of those books that has a very nice romantic element to the plot. I think it'll only get better throughout the trilogy but there are some very sweet moments in this book. There is so much more to the book, but it was impossible not to enjoy the interactions between Catherine and Andevai. 
I really can't wait to find out what will happen next.  


Rating
5 out of 5 


Up Next


As I listed before, I'm going to finish up The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning. It's Shadowfever time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...