Thursday, March 10, 2011

27 of 111 The Iron King

The Iron King by Julia Kagawa


"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny-one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan''s life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she''s known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth-that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she''ll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart."


As I said before, I've been off YA fantasy for awhile, but I decided to give this one a try since  I've been into Fae stories and naturally the back cover  appealed to me. This book was printed by Harlequin Teen and has a definite romantic slant to the story. I really enjoyed the book. I couldn't resist the idea of a forbidden love story between a Summer Faery Princess and a Winter Faery Prince. Loved it. The plot was interesting and fun to follow. I enjoyed the different characters and the contrasts between the Summer Court and the Winter Court. While the love story between Meghan and Ash could have easily slipped into the melodramatic fontrum I've complained about, it really didn't. Since this book is essentially a 'fairy tale' there is some leeway in allowing for love at first sight, since how can a summer princess and a winter prince falling in love not be destiny? 
I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series, The Iron Daughter soon. I was looking at Julie Kagawa's website (trying to find out the order of the books!) and noticed that there is an Iron Fey novella available free for download until April. It takes place between The Iron King and The Iron Daughter, called Winter's Passage. If you think you're going to read these books I would recommend downloading it while it's free. I read it last night after finishing The Iron King and really enjoyed it. Overall, I'm hopeful the rest of the series will live up to the first book and I'm looking forward to seeing where the next two books go.

Rating:
4.5 out of 5

What I'm reading next

finishing A Test of Wills by Charles Todd
Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning
The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa
River Marked by Patricia Briggs

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...