Sunday, March 6, 2011

25 of 111 The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook


I'm going to start including the back cover of the book to save me from trying to explain the premise of each book - yep I'm that lazy! I'll try and go back and add them to some earlier reviews. It does make sense.


"After the Iron Duke freed England from Horde control, he instantly became a national hero. Now Rhys Trahaearn has built a merchant empire on the power — and fear — of his name. And when a dead body is dropped from an airship onto his doorstep, bringing Detective Inspector Mina Wentworth into his dangerous world, he intends to make her his next possession.
Mina can’t afford his interest, however. Horde blood runs through her veins, and despite the nanotech enhancing her body, she barely scratches out a living in London society. Becoming Rhys’s lover would destroy both her career and her family, yet the investigation prevents her from avoiding him…and the Iron Duke’s ruthless pursuit makes him difficult to resist.
But when Mina uncovers the victim’s identity, she stumbles upon a conspiracy that threatens the lives of everyone in England. To save them, Mina and Rhys must race across zombie-infested wastelands and treacherous oceans — and Mina discovers the danger is not only to her countrymen as she finds herself tempted to give up everything to the Iron Duke."

Ah, the Iron Duke. This book was strange. While I was reading it, I found it really interesting and engaging and I wanted to keep reading, then when I would take a break I would think of all the things I hated and I wouldn't want to finish it. The Iron Duke nearly drove me crazy.
This is a steampunk romance with some highs seas piracy thrown it for good measure. I loved the world that Brook created. It was so strange and awful and oddly possible and it worked so well. despite the things I hated about this book I loved the world Meljean Brook created and I think that part was brilliant.
On the other hand the Iron Duke is a jackass. It was my week for jackass heroes but seriously it was over the top. The Iron Duke sees Mina a decides he must possess her. After she confronts him, he decides he needs to possess her sexually (isn't that rape as a form of control?) He does rape her but since he didn't realize her cries for him to stop were serious and he feels bad she forgives him? or something? They were both drunk and Mina lets it go, but still, the girl was mind controlled for most of her life.  Anyway then HE decides that she just needs to get over her trauma from when the Horde controlled them and made them have sex frenzies (Because he knows what's best for Mina, naturally) Eventually they have lots of sex, and fall in love? I guess?
 Along with that, a bunch of cool things happen that make this actually a really good book.  Then the Iron Duke tries to make things better for Mina and that's that.
The Iron Duke character was just so awful for so much of the book, but the rest of the story was so good. As a love story I'd give it a 0/5 but as an interesting, well written book it's a 4/5.

Rating
3.5 out of 5


What I'm reading now
A Test of Wills by Charles Todd
next Dreamfever and River Marked

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...