Monday, February 14, 2011

On Valentine's Day...

I'll be a couple of days before I have a review. I'm currently reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and am a little obsessed. I LOVE this book. So far it's everything you want in a book. It's interesting, fun and heartbreakingly romantic. SO so good. I'm pretty sure when I finish it, I'm just going to pick it up and read it all over again because right now, I don't want to let it go. Some books really are pure magic and this is definitely one of them.


As for Valentine's Day. I was reading an article in the paper about Red Roses on V-day. Today they cost 3x's what they cost any other day of the year. Here's the thing. We (women) KNOW this fact and therefore when men buy us these overpriced roses, we appreciate the fact that they were willing to be ripped off to shower us with romantic gestures on a romantic day. If you go cheap, we know this and can (and will) make you suffer. This however got me thinking about romantic gestures in books that could easily be duplicated that  would work for a book lover in lieu of red roses. 


Regarding flowers....
Red Tulips from Evermore by Alyson Noel is an easy modern alternative. The theme of the book is eternal love and the heroine is showered with red tulips throughout the book, only to discover that they symbolize undying love. It's VERY romantic.




Any fan of recent Faerie or English romance books  would enjoy a collection of wildflowers including daisies. With a "He loves me" theme. 


Violets show up in so many books, so something violet would work. 


Heather is romantic. It makes me think of Scotland or heaths and moors. This is the territory of Wuthering Heights or The Outlander


ohh, the most romantic thing would be to find out the meaning of a slightly unique flower (the meaning being something appropriate) and to make that special flower "your" flower.


Lilacs are "first love


Larkspur means "beautiful spirit" (how romantic is that!)


and finally Sunflowers are "adoration'


If nobody is buying you flowers today, go buy yourself some! and reread  the book with your favorite Book boyfriend. He can be your Valentine today!


What I'm reading:
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness


Also (while not a book) a Curran POV Part 2 is up at the Ilona Andrews website and 
the first 2 chapters of Bite Club (Morganville Vampires book 10?) is up at Rachel Caine's website.


Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...