Wednesday, February 23, 2011

20 of 111 Visions of Magic


Visions of Magic: An Awakening Novel by Regan Hastings (Maureen Child)

"In the ten years since magic has reemerged in the world, witches have become feared and hunted. For weeks Shea Jameson has been haunted by visions of fire. When she unintentionally performs a spell in public, she becomes one of the hunted. Her only hope is Torin, a dangerously sensual man who claims to be her eternal mate"


Well,where to start. Yesterday when I finished this it I wasn't sure what I could possibly write about this book. It wasn't what I was expecting (in a bad way). It's a paranormal romance, but you know how there are paranormal romances and there are paranormal romances. I was expecting more action and less action. 
This is the first book in a new series and so there was a lot of setting up the "Big Story" as well as the romance. Basically there are Witches who are Awakening after being reincarnated over 800 years with no memories of the past until this life. They must find The Artifact to complete Atonement. Each witch has An Eternal with whom they must Mate, get matching tattoos and join their souls together for all eternity. It's all very Dramatic. VofM follows Shea and her Eternal Torin. 
The thing is, I don't really like this style of book but if you do, I think you'd like it. It reminded me of J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood. (My BDB knowledge level is the first 3 books) or even Maggie Shayne's Twilight Phantasies series (the vamps fighting the DPA). I think as the series progresses there is potential for some of the books to be really interesting and some to suck. It'll depend on the characters.  Now that the Big Story is laid out the second book might get more interesting. I liked the world Hastings created. It has some interesting potential that made the book better and actually makes me more interested in the series than I would be otherwise. I found I liked this book more as it went along while I was expecting to like it less. I might even read the second in the series. 
I like the potential of the series more than the book itself. It had a decent ending and there is definitely room for growth.


Rating
2.25 out of 5 (bonus .5 for interesting world)


What I'm reading now
going to finish At Grave's End


then
Dreamfever or
A Test of Wills by Charles Todd

2 comments:

  1. Hey, so it sounds like you didn't really like this book, would you read more books by this author? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, maybe if it looked interesting. I wouldn't seek it out.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...