Friday, February 4, 2011

14 of 111 (97 left) Educating Caroline

Educating Caroline by Patricia Cabot (Meg Cabot)


"Lady Caroline Linford is horrified to discover...
her fiancé, the Marquis of Winchilsea, in the arms of another woman. Unfortunately, Victorian society considers such masculine peccadilloes a trifle; canceling their imminent wedding would be unthinkable. But Caroline's wish is for the man she is to marry to desire only her...and she seeks lessons in the art of romance from the best teacher: London's most notorious rake.
Braden Granville may be a famous lover...
but he has no intention of taking part in Caroline's scheme -- until he learns she has something he wants: the name of his own unfaithful fiancée's lover. As their passionate tutelage begins, sparks fly -- and the lines between teacher and student fall away. Now there is just one last lesson to learn: on the subject of true love, the heart chooses its own unpredictable ways."



So I'm still horribly sick and probably not quite as lucid as I should be while typing anything anyone else might read, but I'm in bed with my computer so I might as well at least get this review done before I forget.
Meg Cabot has written many books, and many successful books and is a pretty good writer. That said, this book is definitely an "almost" book. It was almost really good and I almost really liked it, but it's got some problems. 
I liked the characters. Caroline was likable enough, but a bit contradictory. She was neither headstrong nor meek (or perhaps she was both?) and that made it hard to buy into her. She behaved in a way that suited the plot, rather than being a fully defined character. 
The same problem occurred with the "hero" Braden Granville. I've said it before, but a romance is only as great as the hero and if he's not worth it, why am I reading? 
That said, the characters are actually quite likable and aside from my earlier questions regarding the logistics of fooling around in moving carriages in cumbersome clothing, I enjoyed their interactions. (Interactions not being a euphemism for anything, I actually  liked when they were just talking to each other).
Ah, but the plot. poor confused plot! It was as if the characters decided that life was too easy so they made it intentionally more difficult. There was no real drama. Mostly I just wanted to step in and sort things out for them. Plus, there was a discussion of Granville receiving a baronetcy.
That would make him Sir, but not Lord as they joke at the end. It's the kind of mistake that shouldn't be made. 
http://www.chinet.com/~laura/html/titles12.html lists the correct forms of address in neat tables that I've found very helpful. 


Overall, good characters boost this book but it didn't wow me.


Rating
2.5 out of 5


What I'm reading now and next


Still to sick to focus properly so Cat and Bones have to wait a few more days.


Probably just reading favorites for now;
The Viscount who Loved Me,
Romancing Mr. Bridgerton, both by Julia Quinn
and in the old school romances
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
Persuasion by Jane Austen



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...