Friday, January 14, 2011

4 of 111 (107 left) Hexbound

Hexbound by Chloe Neill


"Lily Parker is new to St. Sophia's School for Girls, but she's already learned that magic can be your best friend-or your worst enemy. That's why Lily has to learn how to control her newly discovered paranormal abilities while fighting the good fight with her best friend Scout as they take on Chicago's nastiest nightlife-including the tainted magic users known as Reapers.."

It's been a couple of days. I'm reading Bayou Moon and Haunted Honeymoon so I should have a few more reviews after the weekend, assuming I get some good reading time. 

Now, I'll start by stating that I am a big Chloe Neill fan. I highly recommend her Chicagoland Vampire Series. It's the sort of series with a solid starter that only gets stronger. They can be hard to get your hands on, but they are definitely worth ordering online...Now to Hexbound. This is the second book in  the Dark Elite series (YA). So far this has been a solid series. You'll enjoy it and maybe look forward to the next in the series, but so far, you won't think about it or feel compelled to reread it later. Hexbound had the "second book" issue where it seemed to be too busy setting up future plot points that not enough actually happened. I think the first book, Firespell only covered a couple of weeks and I'm pretty sure Hexbound was a week tops. There was no big battle and no real threat. There was a lot of set up for future trials but honestly, the worst thing we see the Reapers do is swear a lot and buy coffee (Sebastian). Plus, the slime was never explained and the "Rats" were easy to fight.  Now, Lily does has some emotional/internal growth, but, going back to the book taking place over a short period of time, that sort of makes her internal growing a little harder to believe. 
What these books lack in plot depth they make up for in character. Chloe Neill has a wonderful ability to write characters that are real. When you think about her books afterwards you know exactly how her characters look, dress and act. They are fully realised and you can't help but care about them. Even minor characters have depth to their personality.
I really think these books could go somewhere good. I just wish more would happen in each one. How are they not even at Halloween yet? They've been talking about the Sneak for two books. Something pretty damn awesome better happen on Halloween night! (book 4 or 5 at the current pace!).  
My overall opinion is that these are time investment books.  I hope The Dark Elite will become like the Morganville Vampire series, and they will pay off in the future with a well developed story and great characters. 

Rating 3.5 out of 5

Read these books in a couple of years when there are more of them so you don't feel like you are reading in slow motion. For now read Chloe Neill's The Chicagoland Vampire Series and Rachel Caine's The Morganville Vampire Series.

What I'm reading
As mentioned above, Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews, Haunted Honeymoon by Marta Acosta,
The Exile by Diana Gabaldon
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (but my 2 yr old pulled out my bookmark so I won't read anymore until I get around to finding my page)

The waiting to read list is too big to list right now, but a couple off the top of my head
One Foot in the Grave, Siren Song, A Perfect Waltz (?), Darkfever, Wolfbane

I'm in a New Series mood these days so I might go off the grid and read something completely random instead. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...