Thursday, January 6, 2011

3 0f 111 (108) Blood Song

Blood Song by Cat Adams


"Bodyguard Celia Graves has definitely accepted her share of weird assignments, both human and supernatural. But her newest job takes the cake. Guarding a Prince from terrorists and religious fundamentalists is hard enough, but it seems like the entire supernatural world is after this guy too. When she is betrayed by those she is employed to help, and everything goes horribly wrong, Celia wakes to find herself transformed.

Neither human nor vampire, Celia has become an Abomination-something that should not exist-and now both human and supernatural alike want her dead. With the help of a few loyal friends-a sexy mage, a powerful werewolf, and a psychic cop-Celia does her best to stay alive. On the run from her enemies, Celia must try to discover who is behind her transformation.before it's too late."


So yes, I know this wasn't on the list, but I went to Chapters armed with a gift card on Tuesday and this one caught my eye while I was browsing. I was actually looking for Marta Acosta (hence Adams) and had a hell of a time finding it. FYI Marta Acosta's Casa Dracula Series is located in Horror, this despite being one of the least horrific vampire series I have ever read. Go figure. Also, Hexbound is not available in any bookstores so I'll have to order it. I love Chloe Neill so I like to buy hard copies of her books. This means I'll have to order Hexbound online, which drives me crazy because 1) I'm going crazy not buying the ebook copy, but I'm trying really hard this year to not by ebooks and the hard copy  since the double buying drives my husband crazy and 2) I'm having trouble trying to decide what else to buy to bump me up to Free Shipping.  This means that I'll probably be reading like crazy for the next week to distract me from 1 and 2.

and now back to Blood Song
This is one of those books that I kind of loved but at the same time I have no problem thinking of multiple problems I had with this book.
For the record I really liked this book and I'm looking forward to following the series. If I didn't like it as much as I did I wouldn't have anything to complain about but since I liked it I cared.
First off, there were too many characters! This is not something that I would normally complain about, since I am capable of following plots and characters I hate to complain but seriously, TOO MANY! and they all had generic forgettable names. During the last chapter I thought to myself "Who is Emma??" had to stop and think about it. Maybe it was the generic names too.
Another problem I had was the constant set up for the future. I like when books in a series are interconnected and there is a sense of the future, but with Blood Song I never felt like I was reading a book that stood alone in any way. There were so many set-ups for the future I think it took away from this story. It felt like there was too much piled on and it could be spread out more.
That said I liked the story, I liked the characters, Celia is likable enough in the tough on the outside but secretly vulnerable but that's not so secret to those who love her heroine of the novel. While there was too much set up, it was interesting set up so I'm excited to read what happens next.

3 out of 5 (4 for story but loss of a point for clutter)


What's Up Next


I also bought
Haunted Honeymoon by Marta Acosta
Wolfsbane by Patricia Briggs
Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews


Still working on a Little Stranger
plus making online order for Hexbound and ??

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...