Wednesday, January 26, 2011

10 of 111 (101 left) One Foot in the Grave

One Foot In The Grave by Jeaniene Frost



"You can run from the grave, but you can't hide . . .
Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She's still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.
Being around him awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline kick of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head-wanted: dead or half-alive-means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard she tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire lasts forever . . . and that Bones won't let her get away again"


While I have started Wolfsbane by Patricia Briggs I whipped through this last night and today as I ended up getting to spend most of the day in bed reading while hubby took care of the sick kids, since he had already planned to take today off for other reasons and after a rough start to the week with sick kid A, Sick kid B is now going to keep me busy for last of the week. 
One Foot in the Grave is book two of the Night Huntress series starring  half vampire Cat Crawford and her all vampire love Bones. I really enjoyed the first book in the series, Halfway to the Grave. It was well written, interesting and had a great plot and interesting characters, but I didn't Love it. I put off reading the second book, but I think that worked to my advantage, as it takes place 4 years after the first book, so like the characters, it had been awhile since I'd seen Cat and Bones. At it's heart, this series is a love story between Cat and Bones and you can't love the love story if you don't love the hero. After Halfway to the Grave, I didn't love Bones, so how could I love these books? But, still, I liked the world and the idea and how the end of the book played out, so how could I not give Cat and Bones another shot? 
I'm so glad I did. One Foot in the Grave is fast-paced, exciting and fun. Cat is complex and strong and I liked how she's grown in the four years since Halfway to the Grave,  and in this book I loved Bones. I guess it just took me a little more time. Plus, I always complain about books the are in the wrong section of the bookstore, but here is a book that belongs in the Romance Section. WOW! uhmm, I'd heard rumours about Chapter 32 in book 2. That was a nookie scene that could only be in a romance novel.  For OMG! factor it beats out anything else I've read in a long time. Bonus points for that Chapter!
Overall this second book advanced the plot nicely, and set up a lot of future action. There are 5 books so far in this series so far (I think). I'm now a Cat and Bones fan and I can't wait to read book 3.
I've been trying really hard to not read any book synopsis ahead of the book, in series where I'm not caught up to the latest one out and doing so has made me notice how annoying it is that many series don't label the number of the book in the series on the cover, or even list the series in proper order at the front of the book. I usually just go to the authors website and plan ahead, but today I was at the bookstore looking for Night Huntress book 3 with no idea what it was called but not wanting to read the backs in fear of spoilers. I finally deduced which one it was, but a simple list would be helpful. On the inside cover of Karen Marie Moning's Fever series it shows the covers from the series and labels the book numbers. It's very helpful.


Rating
4.5 out of 5


What I'm reading
Wolfsbane


Starting soon
Faefever
At Grave's End
Some sort of regency romance - I need a jaded viscount and a lady with a ruined reputation to lighted the mood

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...